Samuel Law.

Chapter 2: Childhood.

i wan born on 19 february 1988, in a relatively small town named ipoh, where the academy award winning actress michelle yeoh was born some 25 years earlier. i didnt have much memories about my childhood, the earliest one being me in dad's car asking him what year is it, in a harsh tone he said "1993". the family was considered to be above average by then, dad owns four cars, a huge orchid garden, a large kennel, house fronted with a long driveway. dad was one hell of a character, hes the dominant one in the family, mum being the passive. until this day id still admit its more stressful being with him than anybody else in the world.

my dad was somewhere forty five to fifty when i was born, mum 38. my memory is hazy on the events that led to the forming of the family, of how they met each other, came together, got married, stuffs like that. each of them told me different stories, that makes a piece of puzzle in the head forever not being brought together. from what i heard, some ten years after my dads divorce with his previous wife he met my mum and they fell in love.

i have a step brother, somewhat twenty years older, he used to be staying with us, but eventually he went to aussie to attend university. hes working for an electronic company now, ive never contacted him since long.

much of my childhood was spent with grandpa, the one who loved me the most besides my mum, he loves trebor mint, and used to break the candy into a five piece and to be consumed in five different times, thats how thrifty he is, and hes forever with his same issue of old old old old old old old and brownish newspaper, the one who keeps all the toy back into the storeroom, being me the impetuous and irresponsible kid in the house. theres one time we had a fight and i landed a kick onto his private part, sat down there screaming in pain he forewarned about moving back to his old house in batu gajah, i begged for his forgiveness and be good for the next few days. he stayed. for a kid like me who stayed perpetually in motion, i hurt myself quite alot of times back then, i fell to the drain and left a scar slightly up my my right eye when i was two. and theres one time where i fell down and hurt both my ankles badly, he carried the bloodied me back, one and a half miles away from home. eventually he passed when he was 98. i was never there. and im always proud of him, whole of his life he never needed a wheelchair. never needed anyone to feed him, never needed anyone to read for him. rest in peace grandpa.

i was not as sanguine and confident as most peoples know today, back then i was a timid little kid, i remember that time when my mum help me wore on my school uniform, "you're growing up boy, you're starting to wear white shirt with blue pants. and you're gonna learn to take school bus to school". i was too pampered back then, two days in a week id get twenty cents pocket money to buy snacks i like, and i brought my own food to school. i thought i was living a bad life, i stereotyped myself before all others did.

back then there was life back in the school bus, kids they used to group up one gang after another. and i didnt have much friends, they'll criticize me for being bald, i guess i was too pampered that i just got ignored by the majority of the kids in the bus, they started swearing at that early age, and i didnt have a clue. i was just a tiny little kid back then.

life in school was even worse that time, because normally im not the smartest one in the class, i didnt build up a habit to just do revision back at home, ill just finish my homework and stuff everything inside my schoolbag and wait for my mum to have a check on it, and done, back to my lego. of all these cause my results were not outstanding among my peers, although im in the first class. id even had a kid called me "stupid boy" that time, and i swear ill remember that for life. the class monitor that time, a guy we call "lip" hes usually the apple in the eye to the teacher. he ranks among the smartest guy around. i did not know him well back then, but many years later after we left that school, we met outside and he became my dota teammate.

for unknown reason my class teacher just like to pick on me, she'll criticize me for having a bad hand writing, which that my dad hated her alot for, "how dare she said my son's hand writing's bad" a wee bit about my dad; when he was out alone studying in germany, my grandad couldnt support him, so he did it all by himself, he writes wedding invitation cards for couples, back then those cards were not printed, and thats how nice his writing was, and still is today.

back then during my primary days, i got selected as my school's "number one head". outsiders they always have a chant for us, our school being famous for its bald students. i didnt like it very much, but that was my mum's decision, i was bald until i reached twelve.

when schools off, i used to mix with my cousin, theres when i first got to know about all the interesting stuff the world has to offer by that time, he's much older, and on a normal day ill sail on with his bicycle gang and wander around the whole residential area, we were the bikers gang, we felt like we actually ruled the turf. we'd have all sorts of plaything, and im sure i was the last generation of kids which play with kites, masak-masak which we cooked dried leaves and grass, top spinning, hide and seek, etc. back then we just didnt have computers, not even playstation. the best that technology has offered that time was the nintendo console.

somewhere during lower primary, dad and mum started quarreling quite alot. at night when they quarrel my dad would drive away to somewhere and leave her to tears. thats something ive seen but didnt quite understand, and i usually side on my mum. and eventually my dad got a promotion and he got transferred to langkawi, and he never comes back, the only time he did was coming back and asked for a divorce.

(To be continued...)
blog comments powered by Disqus